Even if you don’t drink coffee,
Colombia’s Coffee Triangle is a magical place to visit.
I hesitate to write this. If I do
you might race and get your plane
tickets. You might decide that even without a traditional tourist
infrastructure, Colombia’s interior is too
good to miss out on. You’d be right to do so, of course, but if you did, then
when I return to Colombia’s interior gringos might become a common sight,
and then of course that changes everything.
As it
is, I’m barely sitting in my seat, just returned from the swooping valleys and
mountains of the Colombian stretch of Andes, wondering why I was so silly as to
return to the sweltering coast, the crowded gray ruckus of Barranquilla. I
suppose a job here and my Peace Corps commitment was a decent reason...okay we'll go with that :)
| On top of Montserrate |
But meanwhile. When a
friend who doesn’t like the heat decides to come south to Colombia to visit his
Peace Corps, equatorial- located friend, it only takes an instant to decide
where to meet up. Eschewing my coastal site, off we headed to the glorious interior,
where elevation makes up for location and cool weather rules.
| Bogota's main plaza |
After meeting
in Bogotá to spend a day or two perusing the city’s collection of esoteric
museums, pigeon-filled plazas, and lovely lookouts, we headed to the Ejé
Cafetero, or the Coffee-growing region in the Andes Mountains. This area,
typically defined by the cities of Medellín, Cali, and Bogotá, is where 85% of
Colombia’s coffee is grown, mostly on small farms. It’s also the location of
the Cocorá Valley, where Colombia’s national tree, the wax palm, sprouts
hundreds of feet high above a cool valley. The valley itself is a beautiful entryway into a
cloud forest.
| Really beautiful waterfall |
Sticking
to the small cities, my friend and I traveled first to Pereira, the closest
city on bus routes to Santa Rosa de Cabal, which is home to incredible thermal
hot springs. We headed to the smallest thermal which included an incredible
waterfall that fell above the concrete pools of naturally hot water.
Alternating between the cold waterfall and hot pools, we watched a thunderstorm
move in. Steam rose from the thermal pools where cold rain drops fell, almost sizzling
as they hit the pool. Rising reluctantly, we moved on and out before the
lightning crested the mountains.
| Super badass naked Bolivar |
Other Pereira notables included one
of the best zoos in South America, and an infamous statue of Simón Bolivar. Bolívar
is the liberator of countries and cities of many South American countries, and
thus there are statues of him in pretty much every town and city. Pereira’s,
however, is naked. An impressive work of art, which I enjoyed viewing while
munching on eternal cups of chontoduro,
a local fruit. Sold for about 1 mil
by local vendors, the fruit’s flesh is fibrous, something like a potato-carrot (as Abby so aptly describes it).
Doused in honey and salt, it’s a tasty, tasty thing. Or at least I thought so.
My friend...not so much, but it’s one of the few plants we don’t see on the coast.
A day
and a half exhausted Pereira, and we went on to visit Armenia, which is the
closest “real” city to the Valley of Cocorá. It’s also about twenty minutes
away from a luscious botanical garden and mariposaria,
or butterfly house. The gardens require that you attend the tour, which is two
hours long. Reluctant at first to be trapped for so long, especially since the
tour was in Spanish and my
friend speaks almost none, we were pleasantly
surprised by the incredible variety and depth the tour offered. From matapalmas—trees that grow off, then
over and around palm trees, splitting into many trunks and eventually
overtaking the palm tree, to incredible bamboo forests with shoots over thirty
feet tall and half a foot wide, to a bird sanctuary where we saw the famously
shy banquero, a bright teal and green
bird that lives in earth banks, and a long, wire-tethered bridge over a small
chasm, it was all breathtaking. And of course, the butterfly house, where
clouds of butterflies rose from the flowers, feasting on cups of orange slices,
each moment one for a painted masterpiece.
We
finished our trip in Salento. Salento is a small, quaint town about twenty
minutes from the entrance to Valle Cocorá, known also for its coffee
plantations and artisan crafts. There
were more non-Peace Corps folks from the
United States in Salento than I’ve met in the last year, which is to say we met
approximately ten. That plus the other internationals meant some public spaces were
unexpectedly geared towards English speakers, a plus for my
non-Spanish-speaking friend. One of the famous hostels, The Plantation House,
owned by a Scottish man, offers a wonderful tour of his adjoined coffee farm,
and thus I’ve forgotten more about coffee already than I ever knew in a
lifetime.
| Some super tall palms. Note tiny cows, for relative size |
Valle
Cocorá was my personal trip highlight, starved for rolling landscapes and
mountain paths as I am. Rising at 5:00, I took the 6:15 jeep out to the valley,
which meant I had the whole path to myself for hours. First an hour trek
through the tufted green valley, passing traditional farms and an odd mounted campesino, goggling at the stands of
palms stretching into the clouds. Then the cloud forest, with kilometers of
incline, breathtaking views at every turn. With its pines and leafy trees, the
forest held a comforting familiarity to those in the US, shot through unexpectedly
with wild tropical vines and flowers, palm-sized beetles, and of course those
rising palm trees. Six hours later I emerged to the crowds of palm-seeking
tourists, who tripped along the lower stone-laid paths in fashionable shoes and
jeans. Definitely worth the early wake-up.
It was
a sad thing to leave the beauty of the interior. Beaches may be where some find
peace, but they are not, shall I say, my neck of the woods. It’s incredible to
know how much variety this country holds. Sweating again on the coast,
marveling at the idea that snow exists elsewhere in the world, I’m already
plotting my next trip, to see yet another slice of this country!
More pictures!!
| Clearly on our style of "orange" diet |
| Bridge in the botanical gardens |
| "Fat American Filter,"says this sign. For those who ate too many oranges. |
| Amazing moss |
Views from the cloud forest:
Views in the valley
Atop Salento
| Coffee farm |
| All types of coffee |
| Hand-roasting coffee beans |
No comments:
Post a Comment